Site map © Soft Byte Ltd 2012, 2021 Photos & screen shots are for illustrative purposes and may differ slightly from actual product.
Updating an existing driver
This is for updating the driver for USB cable links, and for serial cable links that are being used with a USB to serial converter (old or new type).
If you have a DesignaKnit computer that is not connected to the internet, click here to download a USB cable driver installer or a USB to serial converter driver installer.
Make sure your USB cable or USB converter is attached. If your USB cable has a power supply unit make sure it is switched on.
Open Device Manager as follows.
1. Under Windows 10, select Settings. In the main Settings window, there is a search box that says “Find a setting”. Type Device Manager into the search box and then select Device Manager from the list that appears. Under other versions of Windows, open a "Computer" window and select "Control Panel" (it may also be necessary to select "Performance and Maintenance" or “System and Security”) then “System”, “Hardware” and finally “Device Manager”.
2. Make sure View / Devices by type is selected.
3. In the list of devices, double click on "Ports (COM & LPT)".
4. This will produce additional lines in the list of devices, one for each port that the computer has. Each new line will be something like "USB serial port”
5. If you are using a USB cable link or a new type USB converter, look for a port called “USB serial port” or similar. If you are using an older type USB to serial converter, look for a port called “Prolific USB serial port” or similar.
6. You can check whether the listed device refers to your cable link or USB converter by unplugging the link or converter. If the listed device disappears, this is a good indication that it did refer to the link or converter. Please reconnect it for the remaining points.
7. If there is a yellow icon showing an exclamation mark next to the port, it means that there is a problem with the driver or the device: click here for advice about driver installation problems.
8. If there is a category called Other Devices, open it up by double clicking on it. If it contains a device that is marked with a yellow exclamation icon, click here.
9. If you found no yellow icons, right click on the port and from the right button menu select Driver and then Update Driver. If Windows offers to search the internet, take that option. This process may take a few minutes.
If Windows tells you that the driver is already up to date, or if you updated it and the problem continues, please try changing the Windows port number.
If you have a USB to serial converter, you might need a newer model of converter: click here.